Anxiety Control Plus combines passionflower and lemon balm with a
nutrient blend including GABA and L-glutamine, in support of the
soothing GABA pathway.
GABA is used by the body to mitigate the effects of excitatory neurochemicals. We’ve incorporated lemon balm, an herb with growing evidence to support calm, with constituents that may assist the GABA pathway. Use during a stressful day to support a relaxed sense of being. In the evening, ingredients like magnesium and glycine help quiet the mind, relax muscles, and improve sleep quality.
- Reformulated for enhanced GABA support
- Studies show lemon balm inhibits an enzyme that breaks down GABA
- Calms and relaxes the mind*
- Enhances sleep quality at night*
GABA is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. Its principal role is to reduce neuronal excitability. Oral GABA administration has been shown to increase alpha waves in the brain, a sign of relaxation (1).
Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) has a long history of traditional use as a calming herb. It contains GABA as a constituent of the plant makeup and has been shown to enhance the GABA system (4). In a double-blind randomized study comparing the efficacy of passionflower to oxazepam in patients with generalized anxiety disorder, passionflower showed similar support of calm as oxazepam by the end of the trial with less detrimental effect on job performance (2).
Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) has been used in traditional medicine to promote calm in several different cultures. A recent review of clinical studies found support for chronic use of Melissa officianalis in anxious states and also found evidence the plant exhibited acute anxiolytic activity (3). Research has shown that lemon balm has a significant inhibitory effect on GABA transaminase, an enzyme that breaks down GABA, which may lead to increased GABA levels (4).
Magnesium, an essential mineral involved in over 300 molecular functions in the body, is provided at suboptimal levels in the diet of much of the population and may be depleted in the body in times of stress. Lower magnesium levels are associated with symptoms of anxiety. Magnesium levels have been shown to affect serotonin receptors and NMDA receptors.
Glycine is, along with GABA, a major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS. It aids sleep quality due to its role in suppression of muscle twitches in REM sleep and decreasing body core temperature (5).
L-glutamine becomes an essential amino acid in times of stress and is a precursor to the neurotransmitter GABA.
Vitamin B-6 plays a role in amino acid metabolism and is a cofactor in the biosynthesis of neurotransmitters important to managing stress including serotonin and gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA).
Dosage and suggested use:
2 capsules, 1-2 times a day or as suggested by healthcare professional.
Use during the day to support a relaxed sense of being in times of stress and mitigate feelings of nervousness and worry. Our formula incorporates both lemon balm and passionflower, herbs with clinical evidence to support a calm, relaxed sense of being. In the evening, ingredients like magnesium and glycine help quiet the mind, relax muscles, and improve sleep quality.
2 capsules contain:
|Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)||10||mg|
|Passion Flower Herb Powder (Passiflora incarnata)||150||mg|
|Lemon Balm Extract (Melissa officinalis)||150||mg|
None. Vegetarian cellulose capsule
Pyridoxine HCl and glycine are synthetic. L-Glutamine is produced by fermentation of glucose. Magnesium is a mined mineral and citric acid (citrate) from corn glucose fermentation. Passionflower herb powder is prepared from dried aerial parts. Lemon balm extract is prepared from leaves and stems. Cellulose for capsules is derived from softwood tree pulp. All ingredients are vegan and non-GMO.
- Abdou AM, Higashiguchi S, Hone K, et al. Relaxation and immunity enhancement effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) administration in humans. Biofactors 2006; 26(3): 210-8.
- Akhondzedeh S, Naghavi HR, Vazirian M et al. Passionflower in the treatment of generalized anxiety: a pilot double-blind randomized controlled trial with oxazepam. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2001 Oct;26(5): 363-7.
- Sarris J, McIntyre E, Camfield DA. Plant based medicines for anxiety disorders, part 2: a review of clinical studies with supporting preclinical evidence. CNS Drugs. 2013 pr;27(4):301-19.
- Awad R, Levac D, Cybulska P, et al. Effects of traditionally used anxiolytic botanicals on enzymes of the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) system. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2007 Sep;85(9): 933-42.
- Yamadera W et.al.; Glycine ingestion improves subjective sleep quality in human volunteers, correlating with polysomnographic changes. Sleep and Biological Rhythms.2007;5: 126-131.
- Bannai M, Kawai N; New therapeutic strategy for amino acid medicine: glycine improves the quality of sleep. J Pharmacol Sci. 2012 118, 145-8
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug
Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure
or prevent any disease.
Anxiety Control Plus
- Brand: Metabolic Maintenance®
- Product Code: 268949
- Availability: In Stock